Sunday, February 17, 2013

Plans fail for lack of counsel........but.........

The other day I was teaching a middle age female some resistance exercise techniques and
as we were talking, she said something that "struck a nerve" with me.................She told me that "all she really wanted to do was lose her stomach and her hips".

Immediately my brain went into overdrive trying to think of the best way to tell her that its IMPOSSIBLE to lose weight in one area of the body (spot reducing). Those that know me will tell you that I don't believe in sugar coating my words when it comes to health/fitness. However, I do like to get my point across in a way that my trainees can understand.

So I did my best to explain to her that when we lose weight/fat, we cant pick and choose where we want it to come from. Our bodies use fat from all over. And from my experience; the stomach area is THE hardest(and sometimes the last) area to lose fat at. I also informed my trainee that if she really wanted to reduce the size her mid-section, she must reduce her overall body fat percentage.Which she can easily do with the basic fat loss routine we put together for her:

Routine for fat loss (works best while used with a proper diet)

*4 days a week: 30-45 minutes of  low intensity cardio sessions at 60-70% target heart rate.
  220- age x 60% 

*2 out of the 4 days incorporate some light resistance exercises; preferably a full body circuit routine. A circuit routine involves performing a series of high rep exercises for each major muscle group.For example:
                                     3 sets(20 reps) bench press
                                     3sets (20 reps) squats,
                                     3sets (20 reps) lat pull downs


I hope she sticks to the routine that we have in place for her. I have faith that she will. Yet no matter what happens, at least I know that she has the knowledge that she needs to reach her goals.
When it comes to making a health/fitness plans; many people miss the mark because they don't have the right information.

Proverbs 15v22 says it best, "Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many adviser's they succeed".
The Bilbe (NIV)

I say all this to say...................."If you're not sure about how to carry out your plans and/or reach your health/fitness goals; please get some advice".

No comments:

Post a Comment